Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I order an AirNow Publication?
- How do I sign up for air quality e-mails or text messages?
- Is AirNow on Facebook or Twitter?
- Are healthy children part of the "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" category?
- What are the standards for the six common (criteria) pollutants?
- What is ozone?
- Are ozone generators safe?
- Are there long-term effects? What is a typical ozone season?
- Is there a "hole" in the ozone layer?
- What are the symptoms of exposure to ozone pollution?
- What is ozone?
- Pollen counts can be very high in the spring. How does this affect the AQI for particle pollution?
- What is particle pollution?
- How are the map contours made? What interpolation method is used?
- How do you go from concentrations to AQI values?
- How is the NowCast algorithm used to report current air quality?
- What is the AQI?
- What is the history of the AQI?
Air Quality in Different Cities
- How can I compare the air quality in one area versus another?
- How can I find my local air pollution agency?
- How does AirNow define city?
- The old site showed many small, local AQI reports. The dial only shows the city. Where are the smaller areas now?
- Which cities have the best (or worst) air quality?
Data and Images
- How do I find out about indoor air issues like mold or radon?
- I have a health condition. Where is the best place for me to live?
- Is it dangerous to live near a busy road?
- What is a Flag Program?
- What is asthma?
- What's the best month to visit a place?
- Where can I find pollen counts?
- Why is there no air quality monitor in my neighborhood?
Health professionals and weathercasters
Reporting an Air Quality Problem
Teachers and Students
- Do you have resources for students?
- How do we know if it's OK to let the kids play/do sports outside?
- Are some people more affected than others?
- How can I reduce exposure to wildfire smoke?
- How will I know if smoke will be in my area?
- If the air is smoky and hot, what can people do to protect their health when they do not have air conditioning/HVAC?
- Should I wear a mask?
- What are some of the health effects of wildfire smoke?
- What are the health effects of ash?
- What if I have asthma or another lung disease, or I have heart disease?
- What is in wildfire smoke?
- When should local officials issue warnings or cancel local activities in the case of a wildfire?